Below is a screenshot of the General Preferences View. In this
view, you can manage the basic preferences of the desktop image
that OSXplanet will generate.
Overview of the Preferences Under General View
• View Planet: This menu sets the image of the planet
in the solar system that OSXplanet will generate.
• With Projection: This menu sets the projection type
that OSXplanet will render. This is applicable only for
• Origin Planet: When the "With Projection" setting is
set to "As Viewed From:", the Origin menu will appear allowing you
to choose a planet to view the planet set under the "View Planet"
• Centered On: This allows you to set the coordinates
that the planet will be centered on.
• Zoom: Zoom will control how much the rendered image
will be zoomed. Default: 45%.
• Rotate: This slider will control the 2D rotation of
the planet. This option is applicable only projections such as
Hemisphere and Orthographic.
• Image Quality: This menu allows you to set the
quality of image used for rendering. Note that using the
high-quality image will take significantly longer to generate the
Below is a screenshot of the Cities Preferences View. In this view,
you can manage the cities that will be displayed in the rendered
image. Use the "+" and "-" buttons to add and remove the selected
Overview of the Preferences Under Cities View
• City List: This is the default list of cities. You
may add or remove any of them. Checking the checkbox next to each
city will enable that city. Double-clicking any one of the cities
will bring up the edit city dialog.
• Enable Cities: This button at the bottom shows you
the number of the cities that are enabled, as well as give you the
ability to enable and disable the viewing of the city labels all at
• Search City: The search field will allow you to
search a city by name or country.
• Edit: The edit button will bring up the "Edit City"
• Edit Dialog: The edit dialog will allow you to edit
the selected cities' settings including: the city color, whether or
not it shows the time and more.
Below is a screenshot of the Visuals Preferences View. In this
view, you can manage the overlay visuals that will be displayed in
the rendered image such as clouds, storms, volcanos, etc.
Overview of the Preferences Under Visuals View
• Clouds: This renders a live image of the clouds
around the world.
• Storms: This will show the names and the classes of
storms around the world. It will also show the
paths of the storms.
• Satellites: Shows the current visible
• Volcanos: Shows the current active
• Earthquakes: Shows the earthquakes and their
magnitudes for the past week.
Below is a screenshot of the Other Preferences View. In this view,
you can manage the settings dealing with other settings that will
be displayed in the rendered image.
Overview of the Preferences Under Other View
• Discription Label: This will show some basic
information about the current settings in the
upper-left hand corner of the rendered image.
• Subsolar and Sublunar: Marks the relative position
of the sun and the moon in relation to earth.
• Custom Background: If you do not like the default
black and stars background, you may set a custom background
• Splash Screen: Turn On/Off the Splash screen at
• Check for Updates: Turn On/Off checking of new
updates on launch.
• Launch OSXplanet: Turn On/Off launch of OSXplanet at
• Set Desktop To: Set the desktop to which OSXplanet
set when OSXplanet quits.